These incredibly easy gluten-free chocolate chip cookies are deliciously chewy and soft with slightly crisp edges. No one will guess they are gluten-free. They taste like regular chocolate chip cookies… only better.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means, if you click a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at NO extra cost to you. Thanks!❤️
Switching to a gluten-free lifestyle is hard. I admit I’m still not totally gluten-free. I used to be.
A classmate of mine once said, he was “gluten-lite”. That’s how I’d describe my lifestyle right now.
Other people do not have this luxury. I probably shouldn’t either. I definitely pay the price for eating gluten.
These chocolate chip cookies are completely gluten-free though! And absolutely DELICIOUS!!!!
If you recently started to eat gluten-free and you miss chocolate chip cookies or wonder how you’ll go without them, this recipe is for you.
These gluten-free chocolate chip cookies taste and feel like regular chocolate chip cookies (no grittiness). Maybe even better. I definitely think they taste better!
The BEST Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
After making SEVERAL batches of gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, I finally found, what I consider, the BEST.
I wanted a delicious, chewy, soft cookie with a slightly crisp edge. I also wanted the perfect ratio of chocolate chips and dough.
This was harder to do than I imagined.
But, I did it!
Other people love them too.
I LOVED watching my family’s faces as they took their first bites. Their faces LIT up, eyes wide and sparkling.
Sometimes, gluten-free baked goods can have a gritty, unpleasant texture.
Or just a DIFFERENT texture. This can deter a lot of people, make them question or just not like the baked item.
My family frequently wants what they classify as “normal” aka what they’re used to and grew up with.
I think this is the case for everyone when it comes to chocolate chip cookies. They’re such a comfortable classic that most people grew up with.
We want the comfort of what we know, especially during these uncertain times.
Well, NO ONE COULD TELL THESE COOKIES WERE GLUTEN-FREE.
I’m completely serious. People, even my pickiest eaters, could not tell these were gluten-free chocolate chip cookies.
When I told them, they were truly surprised. I take this as a win!
These gluten-free chocolate chip cookies are not gritty! The texture is very similar to a regular chocolate chip cookie made with all-purpose flour.
Save and organize your recipes with this adorable Recipe Card Printable.
How to Make Chewy GF Chocolate Chip Cookies
The key to the BEST gluten-free chocolate chip cookies is to use gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour AND almond flour.
I really think the addition of almond flour is what gives these cookies the chewy inside and the crisp outside.
I tried making this recipe with JUST gluten-free 1-to-1 baking flour. They tasted incredible. But, they were TOO soft. They were also fluffy, which seemed weird for chocolate chip cookies.
Adding almond flour made a noticeable, positive difference.
Gluten-Free Baking Flour
In my other gluten-free recipes, like The BEST Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe and The BEST Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins, I recommend Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour. I still love this one.
For these gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, the ones pictured, I used King Arthur’s Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour. I highly recommend this flour as well.
Both Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour and King Arthur’s Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour already include xanthan gum. This means you don’t have to worry about adding anything else.
Some gluten-free baking recipes are like overwhelming science experiments. They include a long, complicated list of ingredients. Using a measure for measure gluten-free flour blend prevents this.
Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour and King Arthur’s Gluten Free Measure for Measure Flour make gluten-free baking incredibly easy, cheaper, and hassle free.
Recommended Tips and Tools
- Always preheat your oven and place the cookie sheet in the center of the middle rack.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. This creates light and fluffy cookies.
- I always line my baking sheets with parchment paper. It makes cookies easier to remove after baking.
- Let the cookies cool on a cooling rack. This Stainless Steel Baking Rack & Cooling Rack is heavy duty and safe to use in the dishwasher and oven. You can cool baked goods on it without worrying it’ll tip over and you can cook meats on it for crispy perfection (It’s really great for making crispy bacon!).
For other easy Gluten-Free Recipes, check out:
- Gluten-Free Banana Bread Recipe – Simple & Delicious
- Gluten-Free Lemon Blueberry Muffins
- Baked Apple Cider Donut Muffins - Check out the Gluten-Free section
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup Butter softened
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar*
- 1/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg large
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 cup Gluten-Free 1-to-1 Flour
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon ground
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips semi-sweet
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the gluten-free flour, almond flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Mix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Drop balls of cookie dough about 2 inches apart on a prepared cookie sheet. I roll balls of dough with my hands.
- Bake for about 10-13 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Let cool completely.