A super simple recipe to make chewy, soft, fluffy lemon sugar cookies, bursting with refreshing lemon flavor to bring some upbeat feels to your day.
This post may contain affiliate links. This means, if you click a link and make a purchase, I may earn a small commission at NO extra cost to you. I only recommend products I use and love. Thanks!!
Oh, lemon. The ultimate warm-weather favorite. Spring is finally here and what better way to celebrate than with lots of lemon treats!
While I waited for my Super Moist, Easy Lemon Cake to bake, I decided to make some chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies. I used to buy a $1 pack of them at the grocery store ALL the time. They’re dangerously good, especially if you’re a lemon lover like me.
Easy, Chewy Lemon Sugar Cookies
This recipe is super easy, quick, and includes FRESH lemon juice, lemon zest, and lemon extract for the perfect amount and kind of fresh, robust lemon flavor.
Like I mention in my other lemon recipe posts, it is important to use FRESH lemon juice while baking. Fresh lemon juice (and zest) creates a more natural, refreshing lemon taste.
I understand squeezing lemons by hand can be a hassle. This is why I recommend using a lemon press like this Manuel Citrus Press Juicer. It gets every last drop of juice from your lemons. There aren’t any seeds in your juice. It saves time and effort.
How to Make Lemon Sugar Cookies
This recipe is super simple. I recommend creaming the butter and sugar together first, but you could throw everything in at once and it’d still be great. It’s a very low maintenance recipe with awesome results.
Save and organize your recipes with this adorable Recipe Card Printable.
The only thing I would do different is roll smaller balls of dough prior to baking. I would also flatten them a tad on the baking sheet. I was worried the cookies would spread. They didn’t. They didn’t spread at all! I would have preferred a thinner cookie, but the thick ones are unbelievably soft, fluffy, and delicious.
*Yields about 16 cookies
1/2 cup Butter, softened
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 Tbsp. Lemon Zest
1 tsp. Lemon Extract
2 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the sugar and butter together.
- Mix in the egg.
- Add the lemon juice, lemon extract, and vanilla extract. Mix.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, and lemon zest. Keep stirring.
- Roll 1 inch balls of dough. I use my hands, but a lot of people rave about cookie scoops like this Set of 3 Cookie Scoopers with Trigger. It is more efficient, hygienic, and comfortable! Your hands aren't covered in batter after.
- Place each rolled ball on a baking sheet. Flatten them a bit. You could line the sheet with parchment paper for easier clean up.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until done. Oven times vary.
- Let cool on wire cooling racks. This Stainless Steel Cooling and Baking Rack is versatile, heavy-duty, oven safe, and dishwasher safe.
- Enjoy your Lemon Sugar Cookies!!!